One of my goals this year was to read at least one book per month this year
it’s June and I’m on my 6th book
I am doing pretty well so far
and here’s my take on the ones I’ve finished
1) And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Husseini: Seriously, this book is SO good. I mean the way the author weaves the story lines is so beautiful and remarkable. I honestly couldn’t put it down and I haven’t felt like that about a book in a long time.
2) I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai: First, let me say that Malala is an amazingly brave young woman and she’s such an inspiration. I didn’t love the way the book was written, it felt a little forced to me however I am totally inspired by Malala’s story and it gave me a different perspective on the US’s relations with the Middle East.
3) A Man Named Dave by Dave Pelzer: I read this book because I wanted to know what became of the little boy from a Child Called It. I must say, this book was not my favorite. It didn’t feel very genuine to me but I do think it’s amazing what the author has endured.
4) Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Dandicat: Loved it! Edwidge Dandicat is such a greta writer that I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed. It was a quick refreshing read and I would totally recommend it.
5) Salvation: Black People and Love by bell hooks: I am not even sure I can put into words what I feel about this book. It is one of the most eye-opening and perspective-shifting books that I have ever read. It made me think about so many things in new ways. If I were to go through and highlight the “Aha!” moments and quote-able lines, I would have highlighted almost the whole thing. I rarely buy books but I am definitely buying this one.